Sunday, January 1, 2017

Our Month in Texas

It's hard to believe, in 2016 we spent 156 nights in the RV.  We spent the entire month of December in Texas.  We arrived at Sabine Pass (on the Gulf Coast in East Texas) on December 1 and spent New Year's Eve in La Mesa (in the panhandle).  It's been a good visit.

We spent two nights at Padre Island National Sea Shore at the Campground on the beach.  We had a beautiful view of the Gulf of Mexico.  I got to run on the beach and Mom and Dad enjoyed some star gazing.  Our neighbor was there to fish and the first night invited Mom and Dad, and several of our neighbors for fish tacos and fried fish that he caught that morning.


From Padre Island, we moved on to San Antonio.  Actually, we almost blew off the island.  Mom and I decided that we never want to be here in a Hurricane.


Dad has several cousins in the San Antonio area.  One night Mom and Dad had dinner with Janice, Robert, and their daughter Jenn at a restaurant.  They are cousins on Dad's Dad's side of the family.

The next day, Dad's cousin Paul came to visit us in the RV.  At lunch time, Paul took Mom and Dad to a restaurant to meet his Mom, his sister Suzanne, his wife Kim, and his sons, Lance and Brett.  After Lunch, Paul and Brett came back to the RV and visited some more.  Paul's Dad was Uncle George, Grandmother's brother.   Uncle George passed away last year, but it was good to see Aunt Maynon and the rest of the family.

The next day, we all went to Janice, Robert, and Jenn's house to meet Leo the Mastiff.  Leo is Jenn's Mastiff puppy.  He's two months old.  Soon he will be as big, then bigger than me.  We had fun playing in his back yard.  After awhile, I got tired, so I took a nap in the Jeep while the humans had soup that Jenn made.  Mom couldn't stop talking about how good it was.

While we were in San Antonio, we visited all the missions on the mission trail.  Here are pictures of two of them.



Mom and Dad went out to dinner on the River Walk and visited the Alamo at night.


From San Antonio we went to Austin.  If you decide to visit Austin, we highly recommend McKinney Falls State Park.  It's almost in Austin, so convenient to all Austin has to offer, but far enough off the beaten path that it's quiet.  Also, there is lots of vegetation, so each site is relatively private and there are hiking trails.  Of course, there are also the falls.  While we were there, Mom and Dad toured the Texas State Capital building and had dinner with George, a colleague of Dad's that he has know for many years.

From Austin, we went to Lake Buchanan to visit Dad's Aunt Lucy, cousin Nancy, and her wife Marie.  I got to play with Nancy and Marie's fur kids Darby and Chuey.  I had fun with them last year and glad to get to visit again.

From Lake Buchanan, we went to Fort Worth.  We got to spend 15 nights there and had lots of nice visits with all of Dad's family.  I was a HUGE hit at the assisted living where Grandmother and Granddaddy live.  Everyone wanted to meet me and touch me.  I like it there.

Our two weeks in Fort Worth went by so quickly.  This is Christmas Day with all the humans gathered around the table.  No one took a picture of the K-9 cousins.  There were seven of us on Christmas Day.


I got to spend lots of time with my cousin Scout.  He celebrated his first birthday on Christmas Eve.  He's a really cool dude and I like being able to run around with him.  I wish he lived closer to me.


Tonight we are between Carlsbad and Roswell, New Mexico.  This week Mom and Dad plan to visit Carlsbad Caverns and explore this part of New Mexico.  Here is an updated map of our travels around Texas.






No comments:

Post a Comment