Sunday, February 16, 2020

Salome, Arizona and Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument

Thursday, January 30 - Today we left the Phoenix area and drove to Salome, Arizona.   Our friends Mike and Roxanne bought a place here and they have invited us to stay with them.  They have a house and room for 3 RV's on their property.  When we arrived, I saw Phoenix, Mike and Roxanne's cat, so I did what I usually do - I went in search of the litter box.  Litter boxes typically contain tasty treats 😍  I have to say that this was a first for me.  It was a box with a cover.  Kind of reminded me of a Dogloo.  I stuck my head in the opening and OMG!!! she was in there!!!  I don't know if you've met Phoenix, but she is a HUGE black panther and she wasn't at all happy for the interruption.  Well, I know when to cut and run and this was THE time.  She came after me.  Yikes!  I ducked into the office.  Big mistake!  She blocked the door and I couldn't get out.  Thank goodness, Mom helped me out.

I was so shook up by the whole thing that I had to go out to the motor home and take a nap.  While I was doing that, the humans had a nice visit and Roxanne made them a tasty dinner.  I had my usual kibble in the RV after the humans ate.

Friday, January 31 - Roxanne asked Dad to help her with a house project.  As a reward, Dad got to drive Mike and Roxanne's Model A.  Mom and I got to ride along.  It was SOOO fun!  That evening the humans went out for fish and chips.  I had kibble.

Mom and I in Mike and Roxanne's Model A.  That's me in Mom's lap.
Saturday, February 1 - Today we left Salome, but this time I reminded Mom and Dad to get a picture of all of us before we left.

I have to keep an eye on Phoenix the big black panther!

From Mike and Roxanne's house, we drove to Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument.  Yikes it's HOT here!!  We are staying in the National Park Campground that doesn't have hook-ups.  No A/C for me 😓


Sunday, February 2 - Today Mom and Dad did a 2 mile hike to the visitor center and back.  The ranger recommended that they drive the Ajo Mountain Drive.  It's a 21 mile loop where they can see some of the scenery in the park.  The ranger also said that there is a nice hike in Arch Canyon.  



Pretty flowers on this shrub.


Part way around the drive, they took a hike in
Arch Canyon.  It's named for this arch.
They enjoyed their drive and then came back to me in the campground.

Monday, February 3 - It's cloudy today and looks like rain.  Mom and Dad decided that it's a good day for another drive.  They decided to take the Puerto Blanco Scenic Drive, which is a 51 mile loop through the western part of the park.  There was nice scenery.


The southern edge of the Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument is the US/Mexico Border.   

Mom and Dad saw several towers like this one.  It doesn't show in the
photo, but Dad said that it had a bright blue flashing light at the top.
There is a sign on the big box at the bottom.  It says "If you need help, push the
red button.  Rescue personnel will arrive shortly to help you.  Do not leave the area." 
The sign is written in three languages, as well as having pictures illustrating what it says. 
It looks like there is a camera on the pole, too.
They also saw this in several places.  There is a blue flag on a very tall pole. 
Near the flag is a blue 50 gallon drum filled with fresh water.


This is the US/Mexico Border.  The vehicle barrier has been there since 2003.  It's steel reinforced concrete.  In the last few months, the area next to it, on the US side, has been cleared of all vegetation.  If you look close, you can see that it's been cleared as far as the eye can see.   It's sad to see all the cactus that are being destroyed.  The cleared road is now 100 feet wide.  At least in Arizona, the boarder is straight vs the Rio Grande in Texas.
The vehicle barrier is being ripped out and replaced with a wall that looks like this.
This is Quitobaquito (pronounced Key toe bah key toe).  It's a pond that is only a few 100 yards
from that bulldozed stretch of land in the photo above.   Mom said that it was really beautiful.
Tuesday, February 4 - Today Mom and Dad did a 6.2 mile hike to the Victoria Mine.  

There was a lot of old mining equipment lying around.

... and part of the miner's house.


This is the view looking IN the front door!



After their hike, they drove into the town of Ajo.  It's about 30 miles north of us.  There was a lot of Copper Mining around Ajo, starting in the early 1900's, until 1985.

The Phelps-Dodge Corporation built a beautiful square in the center of town.

This church was just off the square.

This is the mine at Ajo.
Tomorrow we move on to Yuma, Arizona.  I'll tell you about that next time.

Love,

Doolin

No comments:

Post a Comment