Monday, May 8, 2017

Moab, Utah

Friday, May 5, 2017 - It was in the 80's today in Moab and all I brought to wear was my black fur coat, so I decided to stay in the motor home in the air conditioning.

Mom and Dad went for a drive on a Jeep Road to a place called Gemini Bridges.  They saw lots of wonderful views.


This is Gemini Bridges.  It's a double arch.


When Mom and Dad finished the Gemini Bridges Road, they drove to Canyonlands National Park - Island in the Sky District.   This is looking off the Island in the Sky toward a plateau called the White Rim.  


Dad took lots of pictures.  



Saturday, May 6, 2017 - For those of you who have been following my blog over the years, you know that I had a really bad dream at the Grand Canyon, a few years ago.  I had it again!! but thankfully, it wasn't so bad this time.

Just like last time, it was dark and Mom and Dad got up and left me.  At least this time, they gave me breakfast before they left at 6:00 am.  When I woke up, I realized it wasn't a dream this time either.  They were really gone.

They went to Arches National Park and hiked to Delicate Arch.  It's 1.5 miles each way.  On the way there, there is a 480 foot elevation gain.  That's like climbing the stairs in a 40 story building!!  Then they had to turn around and come back to the parking lot.  The place they went looks really neat.  I'm glad they brought back pictures.  This is Dad in front of the Arch.  It's REALLY big.


Mom and Dad were really glad they got up early to take the hike.  It was still cool outside and there were only about 20 people.  They said that on the way down there was almost a steady stream of people coming up, including two tour buses.  When they got to the bottom the parking lot was full.  If they would have waited until later, there wouldn't have been any possibility of getting a picture of Dad by himself.

After they got done with their hike, they went back to Canyonlands National Park and drove down the Shafer Trail.  This is a Jeep road that starts at the Island in the Sky, goes down to the White Rim (see picture above), and then winds around back into Moab.  This is a photo of the road down to White Rim.  


Dad was pretty happy when he made it to the bottom.  The cliff in the background is where they started.


From this plateau they were closer to the Colorado River, but it was still far below.


They had a good time on the drive and then came back to me in the motor home.  I was calm and cool with my air conditioning.  

From Moab, we are moving on to Durango, Colorado.  I'll write more about our adventures there.



No comments:

Post a Comment