Wow! Our month in Tucson went by fast! We left Tucson yesterday (Tuesday the 16th) and are east of Phoenix at Lost Dutchman State Park.
In our last two weeks in Tucson Mom and Dad did several hikes and we had some hanging out time in the RV. I won't tell you about all the hikes, but the big one was to the summit of Wasson Peak. It's the highest peak in the Tucson mountains and is located within the west part of Saguaro National Park. The peak is 4,688' above sea level, that's nearly 1900' higher than the trail head. The total hike was 8.1 miles. That's the longest and highest hike that Mom and Dad have done. They brought back some nice photos.
![]() |
| Starting to get a little elevation and seeing lots of Saguaro. |
![]() |
| A little higher and the view is improving. |
![]() |
| All the TV and Radio antenna for Tucson are on the next high peak. Soon Mom and Dad will be higher than they are. |
![]() |
| Views in all directions. The distant peaks are about 50 miles away. |
![]() |
| It was quite a climb. The trail was a series of switchbacks. It's marked in the photo with yellow arrows. |
![]() | |
| Almost there! That's Wasson Peak just up the trail. In the background you can see the Catalina Mountains that are about 20 miles away and the city of Tucson spread out across the valley below. |
* * * * * *
Last time I told you that Mom and Dad took a hike to Bobcat Ridge. A few days later, Dad thought he saw someone's dog run across the trail, not far ahead. As they got closer, he saw another animal and then realized that it wasn't a dog, it was a kitty. Actually two really big kitties! They didn't get cameras out in time to get a photo before the pair ran off, but they were Bobcats that looked like this.
Another time they were out and they saw a herd of Javelina (pronounced Have A Lena). There were about 10 of them just walking through a neighborhood. I didn't see them, but when we go out into the desert at night to do my business, I sometimes hear them snorting. They sound like pigs. I've heard pigs when I've been in Illinois where Mom grew up. They like to eat the prickly pear cactus and I've seen where they've taken bites out.
* * * * * *
What's next? Well, the plan was to stay at Lost Dutchman State Park for 6 nights, then 5 nights in Sedona and 5 nights at the Grand Canyon before making a leisurely trip north toward home. At least that was the plan until last Friday. Some of you know that I've had a little problem with one of my rear legs. I haven't been able to bend my knee very well for a few months and sometimes my paw folds under when I walk, so I actually step down on the top of my foot. Well, last Friday, I fell and messed up my ankle, on my good leg 😖 Now I can't put weight on my "good" leg and it's all swollen. Basically, my back-end is pretty much out of commission. Mom and Dad took me to a Vet, but weren't too happy with the visit. Mom and Dad have been putting ice packs on my swollen ankle. That makes it feel better, but hasn't really fixed the swelling.
They checked the weather forecast and road conditions and they've decided that the best thing is for us to head home and go to our regular vet. We are going to forfeit the last 4 nights here at Lost Dutchman and they've canceled our reservation at the Grand Canyon. Mom was glad that we didn't make reservations for Sedona. Now, we expect to be near Las Vegas on Thursday night, Tonopah, NV on Friday night, Winnemucca, NV on Saturday night, Bend, Oregon on Sunday night and home on Monday.
I feel bad that we have to cut our trip short, but I'll be glad to be home where I can be on grass. When you have a bum foot and another one that slides out from under you, it kind of stinks to have to do your business on gravel. Real green grass will be SO nice! Dad will be glad that he won't have to carry me up and down the RV stairs. It will be good to be home.
I'll check back with you when we there.
Love,
Doolin








No comments:
Post a Comment