Friday, November 17, 2017

Pendleton, Oregon to Denver, Colorado

Wednesday, November 15 - We left Pendleton this morning to sunshine and clear skies.  I got a rest stop and this was our view.  Nice to have snow on the mountains to look at, but not on the road.


Today was a day of driving.  I don't remember much of it.  I had a nice nap.  We made a few stops for Mom and Dad to swap driving, but other than that, not much happened until we got to Boise.  We stopped near the freeway, unhitched the Jeep, and drove into downtown.  We saw the Idaho state capital and Mom and Dad looked around at an art gallery.  We went over to the river trail to take a walk, but it started to rain as we got there, so we decided to go back to the motor home and continue on the way.  

We spent the night at the Elks Lodge in Mountain Home, Idaho.  Mom and Dad said that people in the lodge were friendly and we had electricity, water, and a dump station.  Great stop!

Thursday, November 16 - The Elks Lodge in Mountain Home only had one drawback.  It was really close to a railroad track and trains went by regularly, ALL night long.  I was a nervous wreck by morning.  I don't like loud, strange sounds.  As a result, I slept most of the day.  I remember some rain, some sunshine, and Mom and Dad changing drivers.  I also remember a welcome to Utah sign and later a welcome to Wyoming sign.  We spent the night at Wal-Mart in Rock Springs, WY.  It was a nice place with a big grassy area for me.

Friday, November 17 -  We woke up this morning to snow.  It was white everywhere and lots of big wet, gloppy flakes of snow were coming down.  Mom and Dad spent time looking at the weather and road conditions.  They found that I-80 was closed behind us.  The forecast for the day wasn't very good where we were going.  The roads still looked passable up ahead, but were supposed to get worse.  They decided to hit the road.  They started getting ready to leave and put the slides in.  At least they tried and one of them got jammed with the wet snow.  Dad tried to clear it from the ground, but that didn't work.  He needed to go up on the roof and reached over the side.  Fortunately, he didn't slide off the roof!!!

We finally got on the road.  This is a photo taken just outside of Rock Springs.


This is I-80.  There are two lanes in each direction.  You just can't see the other one.  After awhile it got better.  Then it got worse.  Then it got better.  We just kept going and fortunately, we eventually drove out of it, after about 200 miles.  Yikes, what a trip!

Dad made a bold fashion statement today driving.  His sunglasses were in the Jeep, so he wore a pair of Mom's.  It may be hard to see, but they are red and have rhinestones.  I think he was stunning with his orange stocking cap!  That's why I took this picture of him.



Tonight we are in Denver.  It's raining, but it's also warmer, so hopefully tomorrow will be an easier day.  




1 comment:

  1. Must have changed your route. Thought you were going to head SE from Salt Lake, UT. on a State route.

    ReplyDelete