Wednesday, July 25
– We needed to get Diesel Fuel today and Mom found a Costco in La Vista,
Nebraska (suburban Omaha) that had Diesel for $2.77/gal. We have been paying around $3.40 at home and
gotten down around $3.29 as we’ve headed east.
"Heavy" traffic in Omaha
A quick check of Google Maps found that it’s a Costco with
easy in and easy out for RV’s and it’s just off I-80, so that was our first
stop for the day. We got fuel, then Mom
and Dad went into the store to get a couple of things. I wish they would have bought me one of
these.
The sign says Whole Roasting Pig - $3.29/lb.
Costco is next to Cabela’s (good place for RV parking), so
after we got fuel, Mom and Dad took me there and they went off to explore
Omaha.
I’ve appreciated those who have emailed and shown concern
that I may be a slow roasted Poodle at one of these stops. Just wanted to let you know that I’m not
going to become a kid in a hot car story.
The RV has an 8 kw generator and something called an “auto start”
kit. It can be set to start the
generator when the temperature inside the RV exceeds a set level. Once the generator starts, it powers the
rooftop air conditioning. Often, I’m
cooler in the RV than Mom and Dad are where they are site seeing. I lead a pretty good life.
Tonight we spent the night at the City Park in Adair,
Iowa. It’s a cute little park with water
and electric. It’s about a mile off
I-80, which is really good. It’s close
enough to be convenient, but far enough that you really couldn’t hear the
traffic.
Thursday, July 26
– This morning on my walk, we went across the driveway and actually read all
the signs. I didn’t realize that we were
in a high crime neighborhood. In this
very park, Jesse James and his gang committed the first train robbery in the West on July 21, 1873. Mom came out and took a picture of me and Dad
in front of the sign. Then, we got out
of there.
We stopped at the Amana Colonies RV Park by
mid-afternoon. It’s cooler here, but Mom
and Dad decided that it still might be better for me to stay in the RV. They drove around to the various colonies and
looked in some of the shop. Mom found a new rocking chair, but Dad said it wouldn't fit in the RV.
After shopping, they came back to me. By the time they got back, there was a nice
breeze and it was even cooler, so they opened the windows. It was nice to have fresh, cool air!
Friday, July 27 –
Today we arrived in Geneseo, Illinois.
This is where Mom graduated from Obedience School (High School) and
where her Class Reunion will be. Mom has lots of old friends and family in this area,
including Uncle Gary (Mom's brother). Mom
and Dad left me at the Geneseo Campground (in the air conditioning) and went to
have dinner and visit Uncle Gary. He lives about 20 miles from Geneseo. Then they came back to Geneseo and went to a
Happy Hour with Mom’s school classmates.
She said she had a good time, but
I haven’t seen any photos.
Saturday, July 28 –
Mom says that, for July, it’s really a very pleasant in Geneseo. It’s only in the 70’s and she says the humidity
is pretty low. I’m a Washington Poodle
in a fur coat and to me, it’s just plain HOT!!
I decided to spend the day in the Air Conditioning and let Mom and Dad
go and do what they wanted. They went to
see Uncle Gary and then took him to the Sirloin Stockade in Galesburg. That is Uncle Gary’s favorite
restaurant. It’s an All-You-Can-Eat
place. I wish I’d known!!
After lunch, they took Uncle Gary to a Car Show, but he got
tired walking around the cars, so they took him home and came back to me for a
little while. Then, they went to the
banquet for Mom’s class reunion. She saw
some old friends, made some new friends with people she really didn’t know in
High School, and generally had a good time.
Mom’s class had 224 people. About
20 of her classmates have died. From the
rest, there were about 70 there. This is
a photo of them.





No comments:
Post a Comment