We woke up this morning about 6 am. It was 27 degrees and there was about ½ “ of snow on the ground. There weren’t any hook-ups at the campground. We sure were glad that we had a full propane tank so that we could run the furnace. Who would have thought, I’m in Arizona in May and my basic black fur is the appropriate thing to wear!! We left the campsite about 7:30 and drove into the park. Fortunately, the snow didn't collect on the road. We drove to Cape Royal and Mom and Dad hiked to a place called Angel’s window. They said that it was nice. The national park wouldn’t let a fur kid like me on this trail.
From Cape Royal, we drove toward the Grand Canyon Lodge. If you haven’t been to the National Parks in the West, I need to tell you that the railroads built grand lodges for tourists in the 20’s and 30’s. They are all spectacular rustic structures. Near where I live, there are a couple of grand ones at Mount Rainier National Park. We saw one last fall at Crater Lake in Oregon. When we got close to the Grand Canyon Lodge, we passed the gas station. Mom and Dad did a double take. The price was $3.40/gallon. Are we in a time warp??!!?? Who cares? We still had ½ a tank, but who can pass up that price. We pulled in. Better yet, it was full service. It was a Sinclair station and the man who put the gas in the tank was wearing a dark shirt, bow tie, and a cute cap. He even washed our windshield. It was amazing. We got everything but dog cookies. He explained to Dad when we ran the credit card for the 3rd time ($50 max per transaction) that it was the gas left over from last season and the price would go up with the new delivery.
Mom and Dad had lunch at the Grand Canyon Lodge. Mom says the dining room was beautiful with a two story vaulted ceiling, huge log beams, and big picture windows looking out at the canyon. After lunch they walked around the lodge and visitor center and hiked to Bright Angel Point. In the meantime, I wasn’t feeling so good. I don’t know what I ate, but I was sick while they were gone. The Motor Home has a vinyl floor and we have throw rugs. Mom and Dad decided that they needed to go to the Laundromat at the campground to wash the rugs.
When we left the Laundromat and went back to our campsite, Dad threw my ball for me. It was great! I haven’t played fetch in over a week. It’s been against the rules and the campgrounds have been full, so we have followed the rules. Our campground tonight is nearly empty. There are only 3 other occupied sites and there are a total of 38. The campground host came by while we were playing fetch and Mom and Dad thought that we were going to get in trouble. He actually offered us some firewood that had been left behind in another site and said that it was fine for us to keep on playing fetch, since it wasn’t busy. He was a really nice man.
Dad used the firewood to build a fire and baked potatoes in the coals for him and Mom and then grilled a steak. I had, well you know, kibble.

No comments:
Post a Comment