Thursday, June 2, 2011

Day 31 – Monday, May 30

We left Mesa Verde this morning and made a stop in Cortez, CO.  We dropped Mom off at McDonald’s to use the Internet to take care of some business stuff.  Dad and I got gas and LP for the motor home and made a stop at Wal-Mart.  We finally left Cortez about noon and headed back to Utah.  We stopped at the Needles District of Canyonlands National Park.  When we got there, the campground was full and we didn’t have reservations.  However, there is a private campground just outside the park boundary.  It’s called the Needles Outpost.  They had lots of space available.  Fodor’s didn’t have a lot to say about the park itself, but they said “the owner’s are a hoot”.  Mom and Dad agreed.

After we got our campsite, we went into Canyonlands and Mom and Dad took a couple of hikes, totaling three miles.  I stayed in the motor home.
 
After Mom and Dad’s hikes, we went back to the campground.  The regular sites in this campground are nice, but not anything special.  However, since it is Monday night of Memorial Day weekend and there aren’t many people here, we got a “group” site.  It’s in a corner of the campground, backs to some pretty red rock cliffs, and it’s really big.  Dad threw my Kong and I fetched it – LOTS of times.  I REALLY like this place.  We have our own fire pit.  Dad grilled tuna steaks and carrots and Mom made a salad.  Of course, all I got for dinner was kibble.  After dinner, the people from the next “group” site down the road came over to say Hi to us and stayed around our campfire.  We had fun talking to them.  They are from Maryland and are on six week trip.
Needles District of Canyonlands National Park
from Mom and Dad's hike today
Mom Picking the Needles
Cactus in bloom

Mom and I at our Campsite at Needles Outpost
Sunset from our campsite at Needles Outpost




No comments:

Post a Comment