Thursday, June 30, 2011

Day 54 - 59 – June 22 – 27

I was right about Internet access in Yellowstone.  Almost none in the park and nothing near us.  In fact, Mom and Dad didn’t even have cell phone service, except for a couple of places they were out sight-seeing.
Since we they were totally “out of touch”, they got to spend all their time sight-seeing.  Mom rented a car in Cody, Wyoming and drove behind Dad and me into Yellowstone.  Once the motor home was in the campground, we didn’t move it, until we left.  When we went out, we just took the car.  That made it easier to park at the places we went to see. 

The first day, Mom and Dad went to see Old Faithful and several other geysers.  I had to stay in the motor home where there was air conditioning, because it was too hot for me to wait in the car with my fur coat.  Of course, since Yellowstone is a National Park, I couldn’t actually get out of the car to go see anything.

The second day, we woke up and it looked like it was going to rain.  In fact, it did sprinkle a little when Mom and Dad were loading the car.  They decided that instead of going hiking, like they originally planned, they drove to Grand Teton National Park for the day.  It was cooler, so I got to go, too.  We had a nice drive and stopped at several viewpoints.  We went into Jackson, Wyoming and Mom and Dad looked around at the shops and galleries.  I took a nap in the car.  Then, Mom and Dad came back and got me and we went to the town square.  They have arches that are made of Elk Antlers.  It was amazing to see them all stacked there and nobody was chewing on them.  Mom and Dad went out for dinner at a restaurant in Jackson called the Blue Lion and I waited for them in the car.  The Blue Lion has been a local favorite for 30 years and Mom and Dad highly recommend it for anyone going to Jackson Hole.  After dinner, we drove back to the campground in Yellowstone.

The third day, Mom and Dad decided to go see The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone.  I was tired, so decided to stay behind and sleep.  They said that it was a great day.  They went to several view points and saw the Upper and Lower Falls from various vantage points.  At one, they had to go down about 350 stairs and then back up them.  At another, they had to go down a bunch of steep switchbacks and back up.  Boy, I’m glad that I didn’t have to do all that.

The fourth day, we all went to Mammoth Hot Springs.  Mom and Dad saw lots of hot springs and geyser basins.  I got to see some of them from the car.

The fifth day, we went to see more geysers and hot springs.  They are so pretty with all their colors.  Dad took lots of pictures, so you can see, too.

We had lots of fun at Yellowstone.  We saw a Bear, several Elk, and lots and lots of Bison.  I growled at one of the Bison.  Then he looked into the car window at me and I decided that I should be quiet.  We also saw lots of snow.  We even had a big pile by in the camp ground by the motor home.  It melted some during the day because it was in the 60’s or 70’s.  At night it got down in the 30’s so didn’t melt very much then.

Hot Spring at Yellowstone

Hot Spring at Yellowstone

Mom and Me just inside the Northwest Entrance to Yellowstone

Upper Terrace at Mammoth Hot Springs, Yellowstone

Mammoth Hot Springs at Yellowstone

Elk we saw at Yellowstone

Hot Spring at Yellowstone

Hot Spring at Yellowstone

Hot Spring at Yellowstone

Hot Spring at Yellowstone

No comments:

Post a Comment