We all had a pretty good night at the truck stop. Some of our neighbors from last night are gone and there were new ones this morning, but that's OK.
By the middle of the morning, we got to a town called Hot Springs, SD. Mom and Dad stopped at a place called Mammoth Site. OF COURSE, I had to stay in the motor home while they went in. When they told me about it, it sounded like a smorgasbord. It’s a place that was a sink hole a long time ago – like hundreds of thousands of years. A bunch of Mammoths (actually 59 have been found, so far) fell into the hole and died. For some reason, their bones aged to perfection and now you can go look at them. People continue to dig and find more bones. I volunteered to help dig, but I was turned down. They don’t even let anyone like me chew on the bones. It sounds like a real waste to me. I bet the bones taste wonderful.
When we left Hot Springs, we drove to the Crazy Horse Memorial. This is a place where they are carving a statue of Crazy Horse into the side of the mountain, kind of like Mt. Rushmore. After Mom and Dad looked around there, they got a camp site not very far away. We could see Crazy Horse from our site. Then, we went into Hill City and Mom and Dad looked around the shops and some art galleries. They also had dinner. I had to wait in the motor home and got kibble when we got back to the campground.
We sat around the campground for awhile. Then, about 9:00, Mom and Dad wanted to go back to the Visitor Center by Crazy Horse. I thought they were kind of crazy, but then realized they had a really good idea. The people that run Crazy Horse played music and had a laser light show on the mountain. I didn’t get to go in, but they played the music in the parking lot and I could watch, too. I like this place!
![]() |
| Mammoth Site Hot Springs, South Dakota |
![]() |
| Mammoth Site Hot Springs, South Dakota |
![]() |
| Crazy Horse Memorial Black Hills, South Dakota |



No comments:
Post a Comment